Most people want nothing more than to be able to effectively manage their finances. After all, Joe Public works hard for the money and hates to see his money going towards things that don’t further his financial objectives or build his future. This is the reason Joe needs to budget but he also needs to teach his family about the necessity of budgeting as well.
If the Publics execute budgeting strategies effectively, this should help them to see where their money is going. They will begin to get more bang out of each buck that comes into their home and their savings and future family goals and dreams will start to take form.
5 Essential Steps to budgeting secrests for newbies:
- The first smart thing to do in budgeting is to set a goal. You have to determine what you want to achieve? Is your desire to be able to pay your monthly bills on time? Do you want to buy that hot new plasma or do you need a new car? Goals help to shape your budget and budgets help to best serve your interests.
- Jot down daily spending in a pocket notebook. Write down what you spend your money on. This will help you know without a shadow of a doubt where your money is going. This notebook should include every little expenditure that we likely never track like, snack purchases, trips to the local ice cream shop, the Friday night video rental and so forth. Don’t forget to track these forgotten miscellaneous purchases religiously. This is the only way you will be able to stop, cut and drop little purchases that add up to big money drains at the end of each month.
- Identify your regular expenditures. Take into consideration what you need to do in order to cut waste out of your budget all together. Your daily caffeine fix and your daily paper may be costing you an estimated $3500 per year. Over a ten year period that is $35,000. Now you may love coffee but if you are going to invest in it that much, it should be paying you some sort of interest shouldn’t it?
- Jot down the amount you earn and compare it what you are spending. Create a system that works for you and will help you keep track of your monthly budgeting progress. You can make use of computer cash management programs, or download a money management spreadsheet for these purposes by visiting www.financialbasics101.com/forms.html.
- Forget about the Jones’. The Jones have it all because they can really afford to buy it. As their neighbor we sometimes find ourselves trying to do what they do because of image of success and happiness they seem to project. This behavior causes us to reach or qualify for monthly payments that help us to feel good about our new plasma tv or car but when the payments start to weigh in on our budget, we find it hard to cope sometimes.
In order to be effective in budgeting secrets for newbies, we have to remember the long term objectives and forget about the short term payoff. Spending a chunk of our money on things that depreciate in value and don’t progress our current financial standing is just financially immature.